Saturday, December 5, 2009

JTHM

Johnny the Homicidal Maniac almost perfectly aimed to the audience who reads it almost turning itself into cult classic for the high school hottopic goths. I went through a "goth" phase in high school where my favorite store was Hottopic and no one understood me. Even though I had never read Johnny back then all of my friends worshiped it. Similar to Invader Zim, the author aimed the comic towards one social group and was very successful.

As a reformed Goth kid, I think material Like JTHM attracts the minds of Goths because it portrayed the feelings that we had "deep down". Psychopaths, Homicide and torture were very cool in the comic book form because it was so different. Passe normal people could never like something like that. (Even though Dexter is now one of the most popular shows around) It was cartoon enough to take any realism out. Real homicide, in the news, totally not cool possibly even boring? Who watches the news, the squares. No one understod us goth kids but JTHM did, he knew exactly how we felt. People may think it weird to pin teddy bear heads but not johnny he knows we are simply misunderstod.

No comments:

Post a Comment