Sunday, December 6, 2009

Revise: Blankets

I had never really expected to like blankets as much as I did. By appearance alone it is a little on the intimidating size it clocks in around 600 pages. A heart wrenching coming to age story is usually not my thing either but, after reading the first few pages I became hooked. I wanted to know more about this character Craig a socially awkward teenager who can't really fit in all to well. Craig goes to church camp where he meets Raina and the story of the first love unfolds.

This is were I think most people can connect and why this Graphic Novel became a thriving success. Whether someone was an awkward teenage or not everyone has had their first love. Everyone can relate to the feelings Craig has for Raina and the pain he goes through when they break up. I began to love the story because I began to see myself in it, like everyone else I had my bout of first love in high school and it was actually somewhat close to Craig and Raina's story. It became so personal to me that at times it almost brought me to tears. I love blankets because it provokes my own memories and it is really something I can relate to. In the same matter I think it relates to everyone and is the soul reason why everyone should love this story. If I come across the few who probably do not love this story, it leads me to believe that they cannot see through the exterior of a boy and his relationship they should open up and really let it encompass them. Well that or they never had a first love, and if they didn't have a first love chances are they were awkward in high school. So either way it really should speak to people.

No comments:

Post a Comment