Saturday, November 14, 2009

Jimmy Corrigan

I really enjoyed this graphic novel, my friend who had previously had this class told me how much I would like especially being a GIC major. I kind of shrugged it off until I opened up the graphic novel to read and it really took me away. First off the style of the graphic novel is absolutely fantastic. The saturated colors that worked so well together the very architectural drawings that were placed on the page with absolute presision. It made my inner deisgn nerd very very happy. I liked the added elements as well the added pages that had complete cut outs and directions to make a pop up house, or the other that made a really cool flying device. It makes me want to go buy my own copy so i can tear the book up and end up with a cool paper air plane. There were also diagrams thrown in here and there that were very cool very graphic, structured, and awesome.

The story was very sudtle but very good, it was just about a man who is trying to reconnect with his father that he had never met before. Chris Ware did such a fantastic job making the reader really feel for Jimmy. He was so alone and sad and sort pathetic I just wanted to reach inside of the book and hug him. It almost began to be hard to read about his sad and lonely life but I couldnt put the graphic novel down. Jimmy had dreams about what his life could have been like and in a very sad and depressing way it sort of reminded me of the childish dreams of Nemo. I very much enjoyed everything about this graphic novel possibly not the feeling of pitty I had for Jimmy but I will surely be adding the Graphic Novel to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment